Lilo

Lilo

Friday 9 September 2011

9/11

9/11.


One of those days you'll always remember where you were and what you were doing.


It was early afternoon here in the UK when the news started breaking. I had been watching the lunchtime news and was starting to think about going to get Paul from school, watching a bit of neighbours and trying to think what was in the freezer for dinner that night. 


The programme was interrupted for a news flash.


My 1st thoughts were that the Queen Mother had just died.
After all - nothing BIG or MAJOR ever happens on a weekday afternoon.


But no - the pictures told a story of a building with smoke pouring out.


I began to think it was some kinda rubbish film, but then.......... The BBC don't just interrupt daytime tv for a film.


About 2.30 i had top drag myself away from the screen. After all - i had children to get from school and in my fuzzed brain, i didn't actually believe this was going on.


I can't remember the walk to school. But i do remember meeting Hannah's Gran. H was in Paul's class. She didn't mention a THING about what was on the tv. Not a word. 


Nobody mentioned a thing and i began to think i was living in a parallel universe.


Eventually i got home, got Peter off the school bus and turned on the tv - to find that what was happening was real. Louise came home to say that they had head at school and it seemed really bad.


Then came the stories of people trying to get home. My cousin was here in the UK at a conference - his mum and dad had been in Spain visiting his brother. The plans were that he was meant to be coming to Glasgow to stay for a few days before going back home to Australia. That didn't happen. Actually - i think he managed to get half way round the world before my Aunt and Uncle got back home!! Maybe not quite, but it was a close run thing!!!


We have travelled several times since 9/11. I kinda think we were used to some of the security here in the UK, that maybe Americans weren't - we were prepared for the "did you pack your own bags" thing.


I do remember being in London a couple of weeks after 7/7. People were wary. But that was no excuse for rudeness. (mega rudeness for london!!) One girl shoved past Paul on to the tube. My hubbie asked her not to be so rude and she looked at us as if we were mad. I wanted to shout at the people and say that i COULD have cancelled the holiday we had booked and stayed at home being scared. But i didn't. I had promised my kids a holiday in London - the sights, a show. I wasn't going to give in to some faceless numpty who thought we were all infidels. 


It got worse when the tried to car bomb Glasgow Airport.


Note to anyone who pisses off people from Glasgow.
We do not stand for it and will not let you do it to us, or those people who have decided to visit our city!! We are a friendly city. (ok, so we are also the stab capital of Europe. You get stabbed, but we'll give you directions to the hospital!!)


JOKING PEOPLE - that should not happen.


I have noticed a lot more security when we travel. Some is better that others. Like in SF, when i was showing the passports as we went thru security and the girl said "only you and hubbie" Mmmmm - my daughter WAS 18!!! THey looked a bit sus. (like why would i voluntarily show her passport if we were lying!!!)


I think this flagged up security at the other side - Peter's bag got pulled as it went thru the machine.


You can just imagine my reaction - Oh holy moley - they would HAVE to pick on his bag - the one with the severe and complex learning disabilities who if a question is not worded just right, could give a reply that would have closed not just the airport, but the city and airspace over the western seaboard!!


Thankfully, as the girl got talking to him, she realised that there was something a bit "different" (ok, that and the fact i had just superglued myself to Peter!!!) She kept the questions simple. Ok, he said mum helped him pack his bag. No, no mobile phone, but Mum had asked him to put his books in and had told him to make sure all his bits and pieces were there.


Travel can be interesting, but i draw the line at getting sucked into something i can't get out of!!!


It hardly seems 10 years since it happened. My friend's son - it's his 12th birthday. My kids have grown up and life well - goes on.


I suppose the best way of getting back at the idiots who do this is to have a good life - don't judge other people by what one or two similar (or what we think are similar) people do.


So whoever you are, whatever colour, religion, remember those who died, who are still affected by what happened 10 years ago. But remember to look to the future - and hope it's good

5 comments:

  1. I was in my office where I was selling log home packages when I heard the news of the first plane hitting the building and then it just got worse. It was a horrible feeling of helplessness and grieving. I hope we never have to witness anything like that again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odie - i think what made it hard for me was watching the footage and then going to school and nothing was mentioned. I don't know if people hadn't heard, or didn't know, but it was strange. And somehow i couldn't say anything because i didn't believe it was happening

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live very close to Washington DC and I can remember every thing that day. Now we are all on heightened security because there is another terror threat.

    I just wish it would all stop. All over the world and that our troops would come home.

    It is going to be a very quiet, solemn day here in the states I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skippy - some of the Kids from Paul's school were in Washington DC last year. They thought of going to the White House, but the logistics of 50 foreign nationals and the hassle to get them in was just too much to be worth it. They were in NY as well and went to Ground Zero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember exactly where I was at 9/11 and 7/7 too. The world changed for everyone that day but I totally agree with you that the best revenge on this nut jobs is to go on and try to live the best life you can.

    ReplyDelete