Lilo

Lilo

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Being in the world of the grown ups!!

I've had a good day today - i was allowed to join the grown ups in the grown up world!!!!
And i got to be out on my own without a responsible child to look after me!!!


Wonders will never cease!!!!


I was  asked by Enable if i would help with things they were doing at the Naidex Exhibition here in Glasgow. The exhibition has a multitude of stalls covering many aspects of life and things for people with disabilities - physical or learning. Adapted cars, furniture, groups like Enable............. the list goes on.
I was asked to helped with the presentation about Self Directed Support and how it has changed Peter's life and what we do with our support.
Geraldine - one of the Enable staff and i have been in contact about what we going to be say and what would be put in the blurbs and so on.
She is Mega Efficient - so focused on the job!!!


The first time i met her, my thoughts were "OMG - she looks SOOOOO professional and he're me rocking up the the radio station to do an ad in my jeans and t shirt hoping to all Gods in the solar system that i at least look clean and my hair is brushed!!!!!"


Scary woman in a suit!!


Actually - she's not that scary when you get to know her, but i wouldn't cross her!!


I have to admit, i was a bit worried that i'd have nothing to say.
For those who don't know me, this a first - well, almost!! Me not knowing if i would have anything to say!!


It's that old west of Scotland thing of not pushing your boat out too far, lest you get into deep waters and can't get back!!! 


Linda, my friend in Skye told me to DO IT. Just go and heck - if no one listened, so what - at least we'd kept Keegan gainfully employed for an hour or 2 filming away to his hearts content!! (it ok Enable Office - We did make sure he got fed, watered and sent on his way home!!!)


I knew i had to tell our story and of the support Enable have given us. I have mentioned before, but they are all a good crowd. They support many people, in many ways and for some, they are family. That is the bottom line for many of the folk in supported accommodation. Even when there is family about, the support workers become extended family.


I met the girl who was doing the presentation with (and offhand have forgotten her job title in Enable!!!!) and as Geraldine went to get a coffee for her, we found out that we knew someone!! Absolutly nothing to do with Enable, Peter, learning disabilities, but a Doctor at one of the Maternity units here. Not just anyold doc, but the Clinical Director!!!!!!!. My comment was that i wouldn't buy a used car from the guy, but i'd trust him with my life. 
And oh, yes - i just had to do that about 16 years ago!!!!


SO i didn't feel too bad about the whole thing.
Along with the comment that was put on my Facebook by Norbert CEO of the British Stammering Association. He said that i was the woman to got Ed Balls (the shadow Chancellor) and gave him a right good piece of my mind  - now, THAT was scary!! (and i'm sure almost got me locked in the Tower last year!!!!)


It was nice to see the final version of the filming we'd done and we'd done. 
Linda and i don't look too hung over. (thanks K for making sure we were in good light!!) and Peter and Yasmin were loving it!!


It was strange being in among Grown ups for a while. Eeekkkk - scary stuff. You can end up in a little bubble and forget that there is a whole big world out there!! 
And Donna - she of the red shoes and high heels - was there. I did remind her that my knees were sore just thinking of them!! If you're wondering what i mean - go back in time in my posts to the one of the evening we spent with Enable last year.


And best of all - i get to do all this again tomorrow!!!


I am going to be very nice and take along the bags of Percy Pigs and Rosie's Nosies that i have hidden from my children and share them! I cannot believe i have had 2 bags of sweets since monday and they have not sniffed them out!
Mind you - i could go and find empty bags with nothing more than a note saying "thanks LOSER!!" inside!


And i get to spend part of my birthday with this lot!!!!
He he he - will be good!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Fun! And happy birthday. That will make the day extra special. :) Have fun!! [or even more fun!] Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I've been away for a bit bit good to be back and say hi again. A Happy Birthday to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday and I am glad you are enjoying the Naidex stuff. Told you it would be ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting back among the grown ups - fair play to you and glad you enjoyed it. Oh and a very Happy Birthday xx

    ReplyDelete