Lilo

Lilo

Wednesday 17 September 2014

One more day...........................

..............one more day to the referendum.

We have listen to debates, talked to friends, work mates, even talked to random strangers.

We've read the fliers, the books, the pamphlets and the papers.

Some of us have even wanted to put our foot through the TV when things have been said!!!

So you'd think we'd know what way we're voting.

But some still don't know.....

That is their right, I suppose, but I am hoping that people do come out and vote. I do care how the vote goes, but I also respect other peoples wishes and I am not going to jump on them and tell them they are wrong.

What I WILL say is this - I have met a lot of people on line who have been passionate about what they have to say. I have talked to people and learned a few things - which is no bad thing.

And yesterday, I got to meet some of the on line carers that I have got to know.

About 20 of us had a meeting with the Deputy First Minister.

First of all, it was a privilege to meet these carers, who I "just" knew from FaceBook. It was as if I had known them for years and they were all so passionate about their caring rolls. Not all of them care for young children, some care for adults children, some for parents, some for partners.
We all have different issues, different things we wanted to ask, but to be honest, when I heard the questions, any one of them could have been asked by any of the carers.

The DFM sat with us and we told our concerns - individually.
She listened and never once said that any issue we raised was stupid or not worth giving a reply to.

Even the people who were undecided, she gave us all time.

To be honest, up till about a year ago, for me, she was just a Politician you saw on the news.
Then, one evening, while visiting a friend whose son had just died, she came in to pay her respects and talk to the family.
No big show, no fanfare of trumpets. It wasn't till my daughter nudged me and said "look who has walked in".

She didn't need to be there.
She could have turned up to make herself look good.
But she didn't.
She just wanted to help comfort a family at a time they were grieving - just like everyone else who was in the house that night.

So she certainly went up in my estimation.

And yesterday, listening to us all - she could have said she didn't have time, but she made the time.
There were tv crews and cameras.
But they were asked to leave so we could talk without wondering if what we said would be taken out of context or twisted by some one.

The best photo for me tho, was the one with the DFM munching one of the cakes that Fiona had made!!! She actually made cake eating look almost good!!! (the cakes were lovely - right down to the little signs that said yes!!!)

So Lynn, Fiona, Colette, Alison and all the rest - it was great to meet you and I would love to do something again (even after the referendum with no tv cameras!!!)

And whatever the result, work on the future of Scotland starts 9am Friday morning.
If Fiona brings the cakes, i'll make the tea!!!!

2 comments:

  1. An exciting day for Scotland today! And the rest of the world is watching too - whatever happens will have consequences in many other countries. I hope that there will be a brighter future for Scotland no matter what way the vote goes x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is that! Polling has been brisk and steady!!! When I went to vote - about 12 - there were others coming and going from the polling station.
    The best part was the irish girl and Pakistani man outside doing the "yes" leaflets!!! Just shows that we are a nation who will welcome you but ask you to join in with us.
    No - you won't be foreigners in the morning - I have cousins in Ireland, spain, England, Canada and Australia - they are my family.
    A friend reminded me the morning (a german who lives in London) that we are so lucky to be able to do this referendum today. Many other countries do not give this luxury to their people. So we have to use it wisely.

    On that note, the ironing stops for no referendum or woman, so of I go.

    Just wondering if ironing will be made illegal under a new constitution?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete