Lilo

Lilo

Sunday 7 July 2013

And the winner is......................

......................Not telling you yet!!

That's because we have to go back 17 years to a cold and grey March morning. It was the day of Matthew's mum's funeral. My Dad looked after Lou and Paul, while Peter went to school. (just easier that way!!)

But unknown to us, some miles north of Glasgow, in a quiet little town called Dunblane, a nasty, crazed man walked into a school, killed some of the kids in the youngest class, their teacher and left the rest of the school and the community stunned and I shock.

One boy called Andy hid. It wasn't his class, but still, he hid.

Meanwhile, we were busy grieving.
We got back to Matthew's Dad's about 3 and by then, it was obvious that "something" had happened that day, but just what we didn't know.
The tragic events unfolded over the next few days and they made just about every parent in the country give their kids an extra hug in the morning.

When I took Lou into school the next day, I took one look at the teacher and thought "how are you gonna stop a mad man from hurting my child?".
But to be honest, it was most likely the safest place that she could have been.
And anyway - I think this girl would have been like a raging bull if ANYONE had come near her kids!!

So, life went on. We moved house, the kids grew up and we heard more about this guy Andy.
From Dunblane.
And he seemed to be able to hit a ball with a tennis racquet and he seemed to be good at it!!

Then last year - after years of trying, Andy got to the finals of Wimbledon - great! And even tho he didn't win, it was ok - he'd got there.

Then a few weeks later, he was back there, Olympic Final - and he won GOLD!!

Yes - getting there.

Then a few months later - he won the American Open.
Not just got to the finals and hey, did not bad - HE WON!!!

So we now get to a lovely Sunday afternoon in SW19.

The scene it set.
In the final again, but somehow, he seems different.

More ice, more fire  in the blood.

It took 3 straight sets and just over 3 hours to WIN!!!

But what is it with us Scots?!?!?!
Why do anything the easy way, when doing it the hard way is preferred??? (hand us a whip and we'll flog ourselves between games, twice between sets!!)

But win Andy did, in style!


He did an interview recently, where he talked about "that" day.

I'd like to think that he did what he did today for those kids who never got the chance to grow up a fulfil what they could have done.

It would be easy for him to say "oh, look at me, what I went through".

He could have turned to drink or drugs, but he didn't.

He hasn't forgotten those children and hopefully Dunblane can celebrate tonight along with the rest of us.

4 comments:

  1. I did not know that about Andy Murray, more respect to him x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that may people actually do.
      There was an interview with him recently and he did talk about that day - he was emotional, but heck - such an event taking place in your life, you would be. Parallel that with a lad whose family were wiped out in the Lockerbie disaster. He won the lottery (a substantial amount from what I can recall)and I think also had some kind of compensation (but nothing would even bring back your family). He died - I think he had started to drink, but a lot of the details evade me just now. Such a tragedy - a young life lost.

      I just think that Andy - and his brother Jamie who plays doubles tennis - had a good family to guide them.
      Just shows you - you never know what is going on in some one else's life

      Delete
  2. That is truly an amazing story. Being American I am surprised the American press didn't pick up that tidbit and exploit the heck out of [thank goodness they didn't, but they can be cheap lil' bast*rds sometimes] What a stunning example of a fine young man.

    Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs! Skippy

    PS - Sorry I haven't been popping around. For some reason between moving and not having internet you aren't showing up on my blogroll. But I know you were there. I will fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to be honest, I've been busy, and don't always fet to blog, but i'm trying to do more!!!

      Delete